George Evans House: A Historic Landmark
Now home to the Office of Alumni Relations, the George Evans House is an historic landmark, registered with the National Register of Historic Places in 1982. Completed in 1863, the home was built by George Gillespie Evans (1815-1904), who served as Secretary of the Board of Trustees of the University of Delaware from 1856 to 1903.
Evans oversaw commerce, education, and the Presbyterian Church in Newark, Delaware, for over fifty years in the nineteenth century. In addition to managing a general store on Main Street, Evans administered estates, served multiple terms on the Newark Town Commission, and held trusteeships at the First Presbyterian Church of Newark, Newark Academy, and Delaware College (University of Delaware). Brick from his two area brick yards built the facades of many Newark locales, including the Deer Park Hotel (now Deer Park Tavern), Town Hall, and his own home, which still stands today on the corner of Main Street and North College Avenue.