Warner & Taylor Awards for Outstanding Seniors

The University of Delaware Alumni Association's Emalea Pusey Warner and Alexander J. Taylor Sr. Awards annually honor an outstanding woman and man, respectively, of the senior class. Recipients must demonstrate leadership, academic success and community service as exemplified by Mrs. Warner and Mr. Taylor. The Warner Award was first given in 1950 while the Taylor award debuted in 1968.  Students must also have a cumulative index of 3.0 or better at the end of the first semester of his/her senior year.

The recipients are honored at a luncheon, each receive a $2,500 award, lead the alumni delegates’ procession at spring Commencement and are invited to speak at the annual Alumni Weekend presentation of the UDAA Alumni Wall of Fame awards.

Emalea Pusey Warner

Emalea Pusey Warner (1853–1948) is best remembered on the University of Delaware campus as a champion of education. In 1911, she became chairperson of the State Federation of Women's Clubs' Committee on Education and worked diligently toward the specific goal of establishing a state-supported women's college. When the Women's College Bill was passed by the General Assembly of Delaware, Mrs. Warner served as a member of the Commission. In 1914, she was appointed chairperson of the Advisory Council of the Women's College and later became the first woman member of the Delaware College Board of Trustees. On the occasion of the Delaware College Centenary Anniversary, May 12, 1934, she was awarded a Medal of Honor in recognition of her many accomplishments in the field of education. Both Warner Hall on the University campus and Warner Elementary School in Wilmington are named in her honor.

Alexander J. Taylor Sr

Alexander J. Taylor Sr. (1875–1940) has been described as "a man who was never unwilling to try to solve any problem." It was his custom to devote himself energetically to each task until it was done satisfactorily. He entered Delaware College in 1889 and was one of 13 who graduated four years later. Class valedictorian, with a baccalaureate degree in civil engineering, Mr. Taylor always remained faithful to the University. He was elected to the Board of Trustees in 1927, reelected in 1932 and again in 1938. He served on the Grounds and Buildings Committee and Executive Committee and was chairman of the Finance Committee. Taylor Gymnasium was named in his honor.

Application

The application can be downloaded from the right column of this page. To receive the application via email as a Word attachment, please contact Alumni-Association@udel.edu. Printed nomination forms can be obtained by calling the Office of Alumni Relations at (302) 831-2341 or stopping by the George Evans House at 5 West Main Street in Newark.